People’s Grocery’s Wholesale Hookup Program offers the opportunity to purchase organic and natural foods at wholesale prices, saving you up to 60% in discounts. Buying in bulk is great for families, neighbors and community groups who want to be able to buy healthy, often organic and fair-trade, items but still keep food costs down.
We place our order with United Natural Foods, Inc., a natural food distribution company that supplies many retail groceries as well. We add a minimal 8% handling fee, which supports our programs for community health and education.
It’s easy to join! Just email Charlotte, the UNFI coordinator, to be added to the Wholesale Hookup announcement list. She will then send you an email with general information and a blank Excel order form to use when submitting your orders.
How to Place Your Order
People's Grocery places a Wholesale Hookup order with UNFI every month, using the following timeline:
1) YOU email your order to us on the last Wednesday of the month using invoice template.
2) WE return a corrected invoice to you by Thursday or Friday, and figure out any questions/changes.
3) YOU make your payment on or before Saturday by following the link at the bottom of this page.
Let us know if you prefer to pay in person with cash or check.
4) YOU pick-up your order at our office on the first Wednesday of the new month.
We will call you on Wednesday as soon as your order is ready for pick-up, typically around noon. Generally, the office closes at 4:30. Let us know in advance if you will not be able to pick up your order before 4:30pm on Wednesday, and we can arrange an alternate time.
Would you prefer to place your order offline? Orders can be placed by phone or potentially in person if more convenient. Email Charlotte or call 510-652-7607, Ext. 22, and leave your phone number. Charlotte will then call you about placing an order over the phone.
How To Access The Online Catalog
1) Go to www.unfi.com
2) On right hand side of page, select "customer" and click "log in"
3) On log in screen enter: username= pgcustomer and password= Bulkfood0
4) Now you can search in the search bar for product descriptions, product codes, etc.
Do you need a hard copy of the catalog? If you prefer to have a paper catalog, stop by our office and pick yours up! The paper catalog is not always as up-to-date as the online catalog, but we will confirm the updated pricing with you before submitting your order.
About Ordering In Bulk From People’s Grocery
• Wholesale orders of food products can be made in bulk only at the case size available.
• The prices for bulk orders are the current wholesale price (not necessarily what is shown in the catalog) plus an 8% handling fee that supports People’s Grocery. Non-food items are taxable, 8.75% tax will be added.
• Wholesale offerings generally come in cases or large bags.
• Let us know: your phone number plus the brand, quantity, item number, size and price of each item.
• Orders are picked up by appointment on the following Wednesday (generally between 12:00pm-4:30pm).
• Payment is made in advance. To pay with credit card or Paypal, click on the link at the bottom of this page. You may also pay with check or cash (exact change only please) at our office at 909 7th Street.
What Is Bulk Food?
Shoppers have enjoyed the savings of buying in bulk for over a century. Bulk food is sold in larger quantities, such as by the case or by the bag, and offers a lower per-unit cost. For example, while a pound of organic yellow popcorn costs $0.87 retail, if you buy a 25 lb bag of yellow popcorn the price comes down to $0.52 per pound. If you’re worried about being able to store your food, many items can also be purchased in cases of packaged units. For example, a 16 oz jar of organic creamy peanut butter costs $4.20 retail. But if you buy a case of twelve 16 oz jars, the price comes down to $3.03 per jar.
Please call the People’s Grocery office if you have any questions: 510-652-7607, Ext. 22. Or you can email Charlotte.
Where Do I Pick Up My Order?
Pick-up is on Wednesday, typically between 12:00-4:30pm at our office: 909 7th St., Oakland, 94607 (cross street is Market St.) We will call you when your order is ready.
Thank you for supporting People’s Grocery!