People's Grocery's mission is to improve the health and local economy of West Oakland by offering holistic programs which encourage a diversified, local and sustainable community while facilitating conversations about racial equity and its impact on the community.
- Access to healthy food, information, shelter, joy, and love are basic human rights.
- Community Engagement is critical to changing the food system.
- Movement toward increased love, light, and joy will happen through creating access to healthy food and information about the consumption of healthy foods.
- Self-determination is a key element to community sovereignty and must be centered around historical residents
- Building relationships across difference increases the health and wealth of the community.
- Healing is a form of liberation.